Project Development 03

In order to prepare the body for detailing  I had to Remesh it. First of all I duplicate the body subtool to be able to projet the detail on the remeshed object. As some of the details didnt keep its shape, like the holes, or the flow didnt follow properly the model shape  I used the ZremesherGuide brush to define some flows on the surface. In this way I have been able to get more detail droping the polycount down and getting better edge flows that respect better the animation edge loops. Once I draw all the Zremesher guides I used Zremesher with a very low polygon count. Using the high detailed model I started projecting and dividing the mesh step by step to get the detail back to the subdivided model. With this process finished I was able to start the detailing part of the process.

First I started using the Standard brush to create big wrinkles along all the body, respecting those parts that are hard or polished like the forehead shells. this processes are very tedious and time consuming so I started watching Zbrush talks of the last Zbrush Summit while I was working. After complete the big wringles I started to define them with the inflate and dam standard brushes. Following the same process I did the medium wrinkles and the small wrinkles. in order to create the skin feeling I also created perpendicular wrinkles wit dam standard with a very small brush size. Having the wrinkles finished I started to create bums and pimples all over the skin using Alpha 35 that is a circular smothed alpha. I also modified the lazy step to create more distance between pimples and doing random and short strokes i went through all the body.

In order to create the pores I found a very interesting alpha and tutorial done by David Biggs that explain how to use it. I modified the brush by setting the rotation of the brush and the size and intensity of it depending on the pencil pressure.

 

In order to create the more bony look of the horns, jaw and hip plate I used the same alfa modifing the size, decreasing the lazy step, and alternating zadd and zsub modes to create a more coarse surface.

Finally, I used Claybuildup, Dam standard and Trym dynamic brushes in order to create the damage on the skin and the armor and shells.

I have also retopologized and projected the other subtools using the already explained method.

 

Bibliography:

David Biggs (n.d.) Zbrush Pores Brush [Online video]. Available from: < https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btaqyl7CZxQ > [Accessed 06 June 2017].

Project Development 02

I continued and finished the base modelling of the model by creating the rest of the diferent elements like the vertebral spine, fangs and horns. In order to create a more plaussible spine I copied and heavily modified each vertebra to get the shape transition that the spine has along it in human anatomy. In order to create the nails I used the insert sphear, split it to a new subtool and using the trim curve tool and Dynamesh I cut it in half keeping only one side. then using the move brush I gave it shape.

As the concept did not have to defined the shape of the jaws decided to shape without taking into account the reference. Nevertheless, finally I decided that In order to keep the spirit of the concept I should give atleast a similar shape and then puting a bit more of detail. In this process I struggled quite a lot with the jaws positioning and proportions due to the lack of fixed pivot points that Zbrush has having to repeat the process several times. Once I had the proportions and  and positioned them with the mouth, I merged them with the body and used Dynamesh to create one only mesh for the body so it can deform properly when it will be animated. In order to do this I put the hard surfaces (like nails, horns,  etc. that dont have to be deformed separated from the main body.

to finish the mout, Using a Cilinder and the move tool I give it shape  to extract the surface of the membranes between the jaws/ In order to do it I masked the area and used stract setting the thickness of the straction in the tool options. Then I remesh it and using the smooth tool and the move tool I gave it shape. Then I merged it with the rest of the body and used Dynames to create one mesh.

Using claybuild up I created a better transitiong between the body and the diferent elements creating a more organic shape on the skin. Using masks and different brushes like move I created holes and diferent details on the skin.

Finally, I gave the body the big details that cause to much deformation like big wrinkles, big holes and details. As I didnt like the lack of organic look of the rib cage I also tried to give it a more organic shape creating a net of muscles and wrinkles on it, then to define better the shape of the ribs i used the deflate brush to push the space between the ribs and using the smooth to give a more polished surface so it can shine better after applying textures.